Thursday, 3 May 2012

Kit Kat Kake

A few weeks ago I came across an image of an amazing looking cake made of two of my favourite chocolates- Kit Kats and M&Ms! I was instantly inspired and challenged myself to recreate the image I saw! Although I did not have the original recipe of the cake I decided to try my own basic cake methods and decorate the cake like the photo. I will post an original photo of the treat and my own so you can see the changes I made.

So to make the cake itself, you will need some basic ingredients:
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
  • 2 large eggs or 3 small eggs
  • 1/2 cup of cooking oil (vegetable or sunflower)
  • 1/2 cup of milk
Gently sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Once this is done, mix all the ingredients together using a wooden spoon, leaving the milk last. Ensure mixture is moist. TIP: Use a spatula to scrap dry ingredients (such as flour) from the side of the bowl into the mixture to enhance consistency of the final product. Pour the entire mixture into a greased cake tin and allow it to cook in an oven of 180 degrees for 40-45 minutes.
Once cooking time has ended, leave the cake to cool on a cooling rack for 20 minutes.


In order to decorate the cake you will need:

  • 4 table spoons Nutella
  • 10 Kit Kats
  • Packet of M&Ms OR colourful chocolate rocks

When the cake has cooled to room temperature, smother Nutella over the top using a spatula. (This helps the M&Ms or chocolate rocks stay in place). Sprinkle M&Ms or chocolate rocks over the Nutella evenly. Lastly place Kit Kats around the edge of the cake like a fence. I found this the most challenging part of the method as it requires you to balance the chocolate and depends on a well shaped cake.



Here is the original image using M&Ms



















Here is my image using chocolate rocks
















Try it at home, it is quiet easy and a lot of fun! I had a lot of positive feedback from family and friends who tried it. You could easily supplement the M&Ms with any other chocolate or lollies. You could even maintain the vibrancy of the cake using colourful fruits!
It is always fun to be visually inspired and to create something of your own from this inspiration!

:) Brier

No comments:

Post a Comment